Monday 31 January 2011

Privileged to serve local business in Barnsley and Rotherham

As I reflect on today I am allowing myself a moment of pride.
I was born in Nottingham but my Family moved to the North West when I was 13 years old, at the time something I was not happy with.
Looking back all these years later I realise now it was the start of a life’s adventure.
I eventually travelled the World in business and for a time felt like a Gypsy, moving home constantly.
In time we moved to West Yorkshire and became Immediately taken by the warmth of Yorkshire folk.
The best was yet to come, a move to the beautiful County of South Yorkshire.
When people ask about my roots my answer surprises people and I have never found adequate words to explain my love of Barnsley.
It was where I was meant to belong though. Finally, I have found my roots.
The people are wonderful, borne in part by their mining history and the sense of community that has always been the heart of the Town, in spite of past challenges.
Today I took another step towards adoption, said to take as long as thirty years sometimes! They demand a lot in Yorkshire to qualify.
I am now to serve Barnsley and Rotherham as Board Director of the local Chamber of Commerce.
A love of the area and people make this a blessing for me that will enable me to care for the well being of the Town.
It might be a small contribution but it will also be heartfelt.
I am proud of them and hope one day to make them proud of me.
I remain grateful to Jessica Zeun and Dorothy Betts for their confident nomination and to everyone who subsequently placed their trust in me.




No comments:

Post a Comment